Friday, August 29, 2014

Blog Post 2

1. The central message of Mr. Dancealot is that in order for the students to understand what they are learning, the teacher should communicate better with the class. In this video the author makes the case for the conclusion by showing examples of what the professor reads directly from the slides and from his notes. He also stands behind the table when demonstrating for the class. He never lets the class interact and practice for themselves. I agree with the conclusion. The professor should interact with the students. When they do this, typically the class learns better and actually takes something away from the class.

2. Outline:
I. What does it mean to teach
1. Students can find information anywhere
a. Blogs
b. Facebook
c. Twitter
d. Wikipedia
e. Cell phones
2. Show students how to use Google
3. Should curriculum be on skills?
4. Learning plagiarism and piracy
5. How to manage technology in schools
6. Entertainment vs. Engagement
7. Research teaching in the 21st century

After watching Teaching in the 21st Century, I agree with how Roberts sees teaching changing. With all the new technology in classrooms, teaching is definitely not what it used to be. This change will affect teachers because they have to be know about all the new technology and also know how to teach their students using it.

3. Wow! After watching The Networked Student, I learned about so many resources I had never heard of before. I do agree that a "networked student" in the 21st century will, in fact, still need a teacher. The teachers job will be to teach the student how to take the information they have found, store it, and use it properly.

4. Davis' thesis on Harness your Students' Digital Smarts is that students can learn from working together, and also teaching themselves. They way Davis teaches is much like the way Dr. Strange teaches his class. Davis' students really looked liked they enjoyed her teaching method.

5. After watching Who's Ahead in the Learning Race? I believe that elementary students are definitely ahead of the race. They really know how to use the technology they have. They seem to be very familiar with programs that I am just now starting to learn about. I am a junior in college and the elementary students can use technology such as computers and iPad's better than I can.

6.Flipping the Classroom is a new concept to me. I have never heard of this before. I do believe that this approach will be useful to me as a teacher because students will be prepared for and know a little about the lesson for the next day. It will also help to cater to children who may need a little more assistance than others.

7. After reading Bringing the Locker Room into the Classroom You can use games and other means of coaching to engage your class. You can involve them by asking questions and working together to find the best answer. This method can help them become somewhat of an independent learner.

Teacher helping a student
Photo Source: www.visualphotos.com

3 comments:

  1. Hannah,
    I think we are both in the same boat , flipping a classroom is a new concept to us college students. I agree that this will be a beneficial technique if students do their parts by watching the videos at home. A question to ponder will this technique get old to students or will they just simply want to go to the old method of being taught?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure to include a link for each of the videos and or websites you refer to. Also, don't forget that each blog assignment has to include a picture. Great content! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hannah,
    Great Post! I love your usage of words, and I believe we agree on all of the videos mentioned in your post. I received some really good advice from comments on my post, so I'm going to pass it along. Make sure you're using at least one picture on each of your posts, as well as Alt/Title tag modifiers for them. The pictures add some fun to your blog. Keep up the good work, it is going very well.

    ReplyDelete