Saturday, September 27, 2014

Blog Post #6

Dr. Strange proposed the question, "What did you learn from these conversations with Anthony Capps?". Below are the links to the video conversations between Dr. Strange and Anthony Capps.

Project Based Learning Part 1: Experiences of a Third Grade Teacher
Project Based Learning Part 2: Experiences of a Third Grade TeacheriCurio
Discovery Education
The Anthony-Strange List of Tips for Teachers Part 1
Don't Teach Tech-Use it
Additional Thought About Lessons

I learned so much from listening to the conversations between Dr. Strange and Anthony Capps. It was amazing to me the amount of technological knowledge that Mr. Capp's 3rd graders had. I really felt like his students are on the same level as EDM310. School has changed so much since I was in third grade 14 years ago. We did not have as many awesome resources. The style of teaching have also been improved. Things like iMovie, iCurio, and Discovery Education are so fascinating to me. I really wish we would have had those resources when I was in 3rd grade. At first I was against using technology in classrooms, because that is not how I grew up. My outlook on that has done a complete 360.

I really enjoyed "The List of Tips for Teachers". I learned so much from just that video alone. I learned that to be a successful teacher, you must always be a learner. Through out your teaching career you will learn many new things. I also learned that being flexible is also a very important thing as teacher. Things aren't always going to go as planned, you will have to think on your feet and improvise. Getting kids engaged is also a good thing to do as a teacher. You want your kids to be involved. When they are involved, chances are that they are going to take so much more away from the lessons. The last thing that Mr. Capp's said that really stuck out to me is "teaching is hard work, but it's so exciting and rewarding".

I did like the videos about project based learning. I will use project based learning in my classroom, but if one of students are stuck on something, and they have tried everything they can think of, I will guide them to the correct answer. I will never just outright give them the answer, but some students need to be talked through a process. I like the concept of project based learning, but I do feel like it is a little harsh. Like I said, some students need some help walking through a problem or a question.

Dr. Strange and Anthony Capps using video interview
Photo source: faisonstephanieedm310.blogspot.com


2 comments:

  1. " At first I was against using technology in classrooms, because that is not how I grew up. My outlook on that has done a complete 360." Good.

    "...project based learning, but I do feel like it is a little harsh. " Harsh? Really? Difficult sometimes, but "harsh"?



    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah,
    I completely agree with you, school has changed so much. I am sure our parents felt the same way. I had one gifted class where we made Imovies, but that was really about it. I too was against using so much technology in the classroom probably for the same reason. But I have opened my eyes to the possibilities these students now have. The worlds knowledge at their finger tips.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete